IntroductionI really wanted an IM app that would do all the services I use. Pidgin and Miranda both support Skype through the SkypeAPI, but that integration is iffy at best.
I admit that my needs are very different from most people but here is why Trillian is basically unusable to me :
UI and customizationThis is my miranda setup. Here are the highlights of this UI setup.
- Lack of whitespace and window dressing and borders. Keyboard navigation lets me do everything.
- Names are indented in groups.
- No status messages. I show only the data I need and I want to know.
- The smaller bottom chat window is set to always on top
- The larger chat window houses my IRC channels, and that is set to NOT always on top
- Every window remembers what tab container it belongs to.
- Lots of wasted space
- No indents on names under groups
- In tiny vs simple UI, names are indented but status messages show up. There needs to be an in between setting.
- Tabbed Chat Windows are always on top or not, I cannot specify per window.
- Tabs do not remember which group they are in. Once I close the application, IRC boots up and opens the large chat window first, every chat window I open from then on goes to the big chat window, and not a smaller one below.
Insufficient keyboard navigation
In Miranda, keyboard navigation alone is enough for me to do everything. I almost never have to touch a mouse
CTRL+SHIFT+R = go to next waiting message ( event:next event does not seem to work the way it used to in trillian Pro 1.0, if it does, then I have no clue how to get it working correctly )
CTRL+SHIFT+A = pull up the contact list ( this still works )
CTRL+W = close a window ( this works )
CTRL+PGUP/PGDOWN = go to the next tab (also still works )
Incomplete Skype group chat supportThe main reason I wanted to use Trillian was because of its SkypeKit support, and not have to have Skype running in the background. Unfortunately, this feature is not 100% complete. It lets you receive messages from a group conversation, but there is no way to send to that group if you don't already have it open. The poor UI I could kind of deal with, but this feature is the most important of all.
SlowEverything in Skype animates in and out with a fade. Give an option to turn this off. I don't need fades, I want quick response time. Opening a chat window to a contact takes half a second, and closing it takes half a second as well.
Why does it take such a long time for it to shut down? I can see it sit in task manager for a good 15 seconds before the process finally goes away.